Changes in behaviour animals/pets

SevenFeathers

SevenFeathers

Jedi Council Member
There's plenty of (semi-)wild visitors where i live and on several occasions i witnessed an animal passing by very close to me totally disregarding my presence. It happens at night mostly. I had this situation with a fox, a hare and recently a weasel, all running no more than 2-3 meters from me standing on a pavement. Only after i had made a clear move they seemed to notice that i was there. Such tunnel vision isn't something that normally characterize wild animals. Maybe it's just adaptation to living in urbanized environment but to me it felt like they were in a mild trance of sorts.

I have seen rabbits acting this way in my area. Normally, they will run away very quickly. But they have been just sitting until I (and my dog!) are very near before they even notice us! My dog loves it! She will stand very still and stare at the rabbit until it finally moves, then she gives a half-hearted chase.

Yesterday while sitting at my desk (I work from home), I kept hearing a mocking bird outside, really loud. I hear them often here and see them on my walks. When I looked out, it was sitting on the ground, just outside our fence, singing all kinds of tunes! I could see his little throat bulge with some of the sounds. Wow! What a wonderful little gift that helped my mood.
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Bison stampede at Yellowstone National Park after tourists get too close: ‘I could feel the earth rumbling’
Fortunately, the group was not injured by the bisonOctober 22 2020Video
A group of tourists allegedly caused a bison stampede in Yellowstone National Park after they got too close to the wild animals.

Park goer Lisa Stewart said she saw the group of tourists nearing the bison after the herd already seemed upset.

“The people saw them and started walking closer and closer toward the bison,” Stewart toldUSA Today/For The Win.“They [the bison] kept getting more agitated by the minute. They walked farther down. Out of my sight, but I could still hear them grunting and blowing.”

Stewart said she pulled out her phone to record what was happening – which still did not capture how many people were near the bison as they began to run.

“你只看到见约4 - 6人o, but there were more in the same spot the bison come running from,” Stewart said. “The fishermen grabbed their stuff and ran, and then you see the bison running, and I felt relief the people didn’t get trampled.

CALIFORNIA WOMAN GORED BY BISON AT YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK AFTER GETTING WITHIN 10 FEET TO TAKE PHOTOS

In the scary 30-second clip, the tourists can be seen standing close to the bison as they cross the water. They appear to try to run out of the way during the first wave of bison charging across the water. Then a second set of bison appear to turn and begin running toward the group.

Fortunately the animals turn before getting too close to the tourists.

“I could feel the earth rumbling under my feet when it was happening,” Stewart told For The Win Outdoors.

Stewart said she was amazed the group “didn’t heed the warning of grunting, snorting and stomping feet” of the bison. Though the group was not injured, Stewart told For The Win they received harsh words from bystanders for getting too close to the animals.

Yellowstone park rangers warn guests to stay at least 25 yards away from bison as they are unpredictable.

“Bison have injured more people in Yellowstone than any other animal,” the National Park Service writes on itswebsite, noting the animal can run three times faster than humans.

Since the park has reopened after forced shutdowns for coronavirus, at least two people have been injured by bison, including a woman who wasknocked to the ground by a bison the second dayof the park’s phased reopening.
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

December 1, 2020 at 12:28 p.m
RICHMOND — Two city police officers who thought they were thwarting a burglary in progress ended up face-to-face with about a dozen raccoons engaged in a raucous brawl at the corporation yard on 13th Street.

A baby raccoon is seen in a file photo. The raccoon pictured here is not suspected of participating in a brawl that was broken up by Richmond police, although its whereabouts are unknown.

True to their reputation as conniving critters, the naturally-masked procyonids promptly paraded to parts unknown, leaving one unfortunate smaller raccoon to stay and deal with the cops. A Richmond police news release said the remaining raccoon “advised officers it was just a family dispute” and they let him or her go.

The fracas got so loud that one employee at the corp yard believed someone was trying to kick down the admin building’s door,police said. The officers had set up a perimeter around the building before discovering they weren’t dealing with humans.

This marks the second time in recent memory that raccoon-related shenanigans have generated a police response in the Bay Area. In late October,a raccoon duolived every professional heister’s dream when they somehow bypassed security to make it inside a Chase Bank in Redwood City after hours. They were thwarted when a passer-by spotted them inside and notified authorities.

Escaped sheep wanders into hotel, waits for elevator

Dec. 3, 2020
SPOTTED: One very sheepish looking guest!Help us caption this and we'll let you know the baaaaaaahst one - you herd it here first.
Revolucionar

Revolucionar

Jedi Master
Mari

Mari

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Surfer dies after being bitten by 4.5m great white shark on NSW mid-north coast

Shark attacks increased in year 2020

2020 was an 'unusually deadly year' for shark attacks, with the most deaths since 2013
In what's called "an unusually deadly year," sharks killed 10 people around the world in unprovoked attacks in 2020, the highest number since 2013, according to a report released Monday by the International Shark Attack File.

Is Australia really seeing more shark attacks?

What do the numbers show?

Looking at the total number of shark attacks reported - fatal and non-fatal - this year doesn't necessarily stand out.
There have been 21 incidents recorded so far this year, according to the Australian Shark Attack File - the official record.
This is just above the average 20 attacks seen per year for the past decade, said curator Dr Phoebe Meagher.
She contrasted this year's numbers with the "noticeable spike" of 2015, when there were 32 attacks - two of which were fatal.
Australia would see warm months (and more beachgoers) for the rest of this year, but "just by looking at the data there's no increase in actual reported attacks", she told the BBC last month.
However, the number of deaths in 2020 is a record in modern times, and the highest since shark nets and other intended deterrents were introduced in the 1930s.

Historically, dying from a shark bite is not common. In over a century of records, the shark attack mortality rate is 0.9 - less than one person per year.
Top Bottom