Does anyone have any plans for the coming Ice Age?

Bluefyre

Bluefyre

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I am filled with regret for not having the financial means to fulfill one of my goals in life, which was to own some land in a rural area and create somewhat of a sanctuary to fall back on.

I used to have this mindset as well, "just get away on my own", learned to garden and have come to realize it is wishful thinking. Those who survived, from the little information I am aware of so far, and even thrived in past ice ages were folks who lived together in communities of whatever size with different practical skills to contribute to the group as a whole as well as sharing knowledge and experience at many different levels.
Ruth

Ruth

The Living Force
I don't think Canada would be (is) such a bad place for an ice age. It does have a lot going for it like the infrastructure already in place to deal with changes to cold weather. In the little green rainy place I live, just a snowflake or two and the whole country grinds to a halt. We are doomed big time! :( - You make me wonder though, why closer to the equator? Feel like I've missed out on an important piece of data if utopia exists around 0 degrees latitude?

I guess the answer to that would have to do with how different climate is going to be. They talk about the 'Grand Solar Minimum', but is this a temporary thing, or are we moving back into permanent ice age? And how much ice is it going to produce?

It would be virtually impossible to live on permafrost or on a glacier with no ability to grow crops whatsoever. People are less likely to have this problem the closer they are to the equator.

It seems to me that perhaps the longer people wait to make plans, the more difficult it will be to move if that's what they want to do. It would have been a lot easier 20 years ago, but hindsight is 20/20...
Xico

Xico

Jedi Council Member
In my case I don't have anything planned, all I am doing so far is getting as much knowledge/information as possible, e.g. ( gardening, shelter building, and to get familiar with any usable plants for any natural remedy....
It's very hard to gauge the speed of the onset of the GSM, and combined with panic buying which is inevitable, I would say that preparing incrementally is wise. If you can afford it, buy double of what you would normally buy on a weekly basis. The way I see it is this...everything you use in your home during the week, you will need 3 months worth tucked away somewhere dry, cool and dark. This may help with the initial transition, giving you time to find genuinely like-minded folk to work with, if you haven't found them yet.
我听说加拿大的法规关于吸引d burning stoves are quite rigid, but a heat/cooking source free from the grid or pipes is essential. Indoor growing is touted my many preppers, but I don't see this as particularly viable for most unless you have a way of creating and harnessing your own energy. Some form of personal protection might be in order as well as knowing your immediate dangers...situational awareness? But long term? Joining the masses on a caravan migration to the Equator seems fraught with problems...how to feed and protect yourself en route and where do you settle when you get there?
As others have posted, community is key. Sharing of knowledge and skills, safety in numbers and many hands make light work!
Most importantly, mental preparation...
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Don't forget about"The benefits of cold adaptation"

Current snap backs!
Nov 18, 2018

Translated from French by Microsoft
The first flakes of# neigethe season are currently falling on# Paris(# IDF) - the previous ones date back to 19 March last-the first snow had been observed on 30 November in 2017, on 7 Nov in 2016-Omar Havana:Omar Havana on Instagram: “First snow of the year in Paris . #snow #neige #paris #france #weather #climate #cold”

Edit Added:
A good source for information
奥本海默的牧场
Last edited:
Yes c.a...cold adaption! Reading through the Carnivore Diet conversation, it seems a shift to meat and fats only could be a good preparation for building a tolerance to the cold, especially if one is not genetically disposed this way.
I feel like I've arrived at the party too late!
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Yes c.a...cold adaption! Reading through the Carnivore Diet conversation, it seems a shift to meat and fats only could be a good preparation for building a tolerance to the cold, especially if one is not genetically disposed this way.
I feel like I've arrived at the party too late!

Never to late. Better now then never!
Lots of great threads to kick start the processes. Nice in slow, see how she goes, under a new steam.

Diet and Health
All About Fasting
Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions
Important threads for Diet and Health
Smoking is... good?
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) - A common deficiency in disorders of energy metabolism, cardiovascular and nervous system dysfunction
Detoxification: Heavy Metals, Mercury and how to get rid of them
AzarHyun

AzarHyun

Jedi
as c.a. says in this post, fromHealth and Wellness Show - Mar. 18, 2016 - The benefits of cold adaptation
It seems that genes play an important role

Feeling Chilly? It’s in Your Genes.
Blog_31_Feeling_Chilly_Image_2_87F9007D-EE49-1CC2-494408AFDA207866.jpg

Posted January 06, 2017
http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/27938?frmtrk=cr4digest&cid=nl&et_rid=763213224&et_mid=83367416

This holiday season I received no less than five sweaters, one space heater, a fleece lined sweatshirt, and one
wonderful electric blanket. Why? It’s very well known that I’m constantly freezing. My teeth have even been known to chatter at the balmy 60 F, the same threshold at which my mother allowed my brothers to wear shorts while we waited for the school bus as kids.

A study published recently revealed something I’m clearly missing: a cold-tolerant gene. This gene variant, possessed by the Inuit, Native Americans, and some Siberians, is thought to cause “a certain type of body fat known as ‘brown fat’ to generate heat,” in addition to being involved in other traits like body fat distribution, bone, and facial structure.

This gene variant is very similar to a gene sequence found in the Denisovans (“extinct humans who once ranged from Siberia to the Southeast”). An earlier discovery had proposed that the Tibetans had also inherited a variant from the Denisovans, which allowed them “to use oxygen efficiently when the air is thin at high altitudes.”

Prior to this study, it had been recognized that one of the clusters of genes involved in cold tolerance was “significantly associated with different phenotypes including fatty acid profiles, weight, and height.” That had been notable, when considering cold-tolerance, because “short, stocky stature was an evolutionary adaption for cold weather since it consolidated heat.” Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be consolidating heat that way.

Another factor working against me is that women seem to feel cold more often than men (this comic by Blue Chair notwithstanding). Many people have observed anecdotal evidence for this, but researchers also found that women tended to possess higher core temperatures, but have consistently colder hands and feet—possibly leaving them feeling colder.

All in all, it looks as though I’m going to continue shivering, but at least now I have some answers
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/12/20/molbev.msw283
Here's Why the Inuit Tolerate Cold Better Than You Do
Neanderthals: Facts About Our Extinct Human Relatives
Bluechair - Ep. 32 - Low Tolerance
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)78875-9/fulltext

Interview with Dr. Aajonus Vonderplanitz on The Primal Diet - Raw Meat and Fat
_

THE FAT OF THE LAND
by Vilhjalmur Stefansson
http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the-land-not-by-bread-alone-vilhjalmur-stefansson.pdf

But I think that adaptation can do a lot, for example, I use Wim Hof techniques for about a year and the results are that i have better "self-confidence" in relation with cold. I am of those who have always complained
on the cold, shaking, I did not think about the possibility of showering with cold water...millennium snowflake.

I did not become superhuman, but with WH technique I managed to become a decent man which does not dramatize around the cold.
Can Wim Hof's breathing methods give us superhuman abilities? -- Sott.net
Research On 'Iceman' Wim Hof Suggests It May Be Possible to Consciously Influence Autonomic Nervous System and Immune Response -- Sott.net
Wim Hof, the Iceman, regulates his vagus nerve to withstand extreme cold -- Sott.net
Cold: Can it make you stronger? -- Sott.net

To stay motivated every day, helps me a lot tracking FB groupWim Hof Methodin which members share their photos, courage, perseverance, adaptation and victory over themselves.
Cosmos

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member

Even though it is called the little ice age, something like this (even just if it is remotely as severe as back than) happening in our world today will most certainly have a very profound effect on everything. In fact, I think that a little ice age like this happening today most likely will be enough to stop the world/civilization as we know it. And that is just if we talk about a small version of that little ice age! If we are faced with a real one, like the last big one that ended approx 12.000 years ago, where the temperatures were much colder than in the little ice age, it looks much, much worse.
一个杰

一个杰

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Even though it is called the little ice age, something like this (even just if it is remotely as severe as back than) happening in our world today will most certainly have a very profound effect on everything. In fact,I think that a little ice age like this happening today most likely will be enough to stop the world/civilization as we know it.And that is just if we talk about a small version of that little ice age! If we are faced with a real one, like the last big one that ended approx 12.000 years ago, where the temperatures were much colder than in the little ice age, it looks much, much worse.

Agreed. We have all of this amazing technical prowess and advanced technology, but our infrastructure for supporting that technology and our way of life based on the use of that technology isn't very resilient or anti-fragile. Thinking about how complex the system supporting our lives is, I'm amazed it even works at all. But you introduce sudden glacial rebound, shortened or non-existent growing seasons, etc. and I don't think life as we know it would last very long.

I remember living in GA a few years ago and we got a whopping 3 inches or so of snow and ice and everything shut down for the better part of a week. It was, for us anyways, snowpocalypse. Imagining that scenario lasting for weeks, months, or longer... It's not a pretty picture.
scotseeker

scotseeker

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Laura, thank you for the recommendation “A Cold Welcome”. Just ordered it and looking forward to reading it this weekend. Even though I live in Southeast Florida, one can never know what will happen through an Ice Age. I do have canned pastured meats put away along with plenty of beans, rice, etc. I usually don’t eat beans, rice and the like but when out of food, one will eat to survive. Luckily for me I still have my winter clothes, coats, hats, etc. so I won’t freeze going outside. I worry about my dogs as I will have to share my food with them if their food becomes unavailable, although they are Rottweilers and can adapt to the cold. I am a member of FOTCM and contribute monetarily when possible. Perhaps there is something else that I can contribute to FOTCM, research, etc?
T

thorbiorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think it would be very helpful for everyone to read "A Cold Welcome" which cites actual eye-witness accounts of the Little Ice Age in the Americas from Canada down to South America. If you have some real idea of what you may be facing, and why (lot of discussion of how and why weather does things in certain places), you are much better prepared to prepare!

Secondly, one of the reasons we created our religious organization was so that we would be in a position to aid our members when the poo hits the fan. We have been working on helping people to meet each other in real life so as to be able to possibly form networks in their home areas; to pass on needed skills and information; and we have been experimenting with religious visas for members to be able to relocate out of areas that are problematical. Right now, everything is still in a somewhat casual stage of activity, and will remain so as long as things are relatively stable, but we are watching and getting foundations in place to make more definite moves when and if needed.

In other words, supporting FOTCM, participating actively in the limited things we are doing at present, is basically helping us to be better able to help you.
It turns out there is a Youtube of a lecture given by the author of the book "A Cold Welcome"
I haven't seen the whole video, but apparently there are many slides with quotes, pictures and diagrams.
Ursus Minor

Ursus Minor

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
[ Does anyone have any plans for the coming Ice Age? ]

Can we become antifragile?

Ask a turkey a week before Thanksgiving if the farmer loves him.
The farmer comes every day to feed the turkey and feed him well.
He provides free accommodations: a nice yard to peck around in, water, shelter from predators.
From the turkey’s perspective, a week before Thanksgiving, life has never been better.
Joe Jarvis (The Daily Bell)

Article found onZero Hedge

Here's an excerpt from Nassim Nicholas Taleb” fromhis bookAntifragile:Things That Gain From Disorder

"Then comes the day when it is really not a very good idea to be a turkey.
So with the butcher surprising it, the turkey will have a revision of belief, right when its confidence in the statement thatthe butcher loves turkeysis maximal and it is very quiet and soothingly predictable in the life of the turkey…
The key here is that such a surprise will be a black swan event, but just for the turkey, not for the butcher.

We can also see from the turkey story the mother of all harmful mistakes.
Mistaking absence of evidence of harm for evidence of absence…"

Joe Jarvis again:

A black swan event is an unexpected outlier event, difficult to predict because it is beyond the usual.

But how do you prepare for such an event? The whole point is that you don’t know when it will take place, or what exactly will happen.It could be a financial collapse, a civil war, or an earthquake. The butcher would be bankers, the government,or mother nature.

The answer is to become antifragile."

Fragile people will be the turkey on the Thanksgiving table. These are the people whose only retirement plan is Social Security, who trade their rights for government security, or who build their homes in a flood zone.

And what’s the opposite of fragile?

Most people say robust, or unbreakable. But this isn’t quite right. Something fragile suffers from chaos. Something robust is unaffected by a bumpy ride.

But something antifragilebenefitsfrom turmoil.

也许成为antifragile方法之一是be diverse. Diversifying things like investments, skills, even diet and exercise at least makes you robust and could make you antifragile.

One hobby of mine is foraging for wild edible and medicinal plants. I’m also into reading up on food as medicine, and which compounds in herbs show promise in treating particular ailments.

Currently, all this can be found online. It’s just a fun hobby, an extra activity during my frequent hikes in the woods.

But if a certain type of black swan event wreaks havoc on our society,which has never been more stable…

I think that there's only so much we can do to survive future events. We might try to become just a bit more antifragile in our minds, that is.

Surely, the best thing is being mentally prepared, to accept that we might lose everything, sooner or later and
to reduce our attachment to physical life.

Upon further reflection physical preparations will be useful, if only to calm our minds.
genero81

genero81

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Those who have been lulled to sleep by shutting out or ignoring reality will be unprepared. Those who are paying strict attention "right and left" will have the time they need to be where they need to be and do what they need to do. OSIT
Top Bottom