Tarot Reading

Great to read everyone's experience with Tarot cards, and I got inspired to check out some of the decks that you have mentioned here.

A decade or so ago I got inspired to buy some decks after reading Ouspensky'sSymbolism of the Tarot. He claims they are evidently connected with the Ancient Mysteries and the Egyptian Initiation. He mentions Oswald Wirth, who wrote about pairing off the 22 major arcana cards:

"According to Christian, the twenty-two major arcana of the Tarot represent the hieroglyphic paintings which were found in the spaces between the columns of a gallery which the neophyte was obliged to cross in the Egyptian initiations. There were twelve columns to the north and the same number to the south, that is, eleven symbolical pictures on each side. These pictures were explained to the candidate for initiation in regular order, and they contained the rules and principles for the Initiate. This opinion is confirmed by the correspondence which exists between arcana when they are thus arranged."

In the gallery of the Temple the pictures were arranged in pairs, one opposite another, so that the last picture was opposite the first, the last but one opposite the second, etc. When the cards are so placed we find a highly interesting and deep suggestion. In this way the mind finds the one in the two, and is led from dualism to monism, which is what we might call the unification of the duad. One card explains the other and each pair shows moreover that they can be only mutually explanatory and mean nothing when taken separately.
-Symbolism of the Tarot

I was fascinated with this concept. A friend singer and I as writer made 11 songs about the pairs of the major arcana. We've played around with what the unification of the duad is in the pairs, but mostly it was a fun, creative project to release some stress for us. Perhaps we can share some of that material on the creative side of the forum sometime.

Over a couple of years I've bought some decks and played around with the cards as thinking tool. The way I approach it, or at least try is by associating the cards with a specific action/energy. When I draw them for a question, I see what comes to mind first when thinking of that action/energy. The first thing that comes up is what's apparently top of mind for my question, so I reflect on it.

I'm not too sure about them being a 'divination' tool for me, I've had some cards 'jump out' while shuffling before which immediately pointed at something important for me, but had it been any other card wouldn't I also have an association that would thereby justify its appearance?
I'm not too sure about them being a 'divination' tool for me, I've had some cards 'jump out' while shuffling before which immediately pointed at something important for me,but had it been any other card wouldn't I also have an association that would thereby justify its appearance?

在一个3 d或心理层面上,我认为是的。这是like you already know the answer and you are using the cards as an association to bring forth the answer. There are enough meanings per card, while still being sufficiently distinct, where you can sort of find what you are looking for.

Of course you can go into "pattern recognition run amok" mode and ascribe meaning to everything. But I think if you're in a clear minded state, with the intent of finding answers, and really asking, something else comes into play, be it your Higher Self, you in the "future", or some information field which facilitate the answer.
Back
Top Bottom