Biodynamic Agriculture: inquiry into food as spiritual medicine

iamthatis

iamthatis

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
I have started reading and studying Rudolph Steiner's seminal work entitled 'The Agriculture Course'.

Since the corona-circus came to town, it seems to me that the world I know has changed in one positive way - people are beginning to turn to their lawns and yards with new eyes, eyes that see the potential for growing food. Sort of like a return the Victory Gardens in American's past.

Biodynamics could be a splendid avenue for being of service to others. Biodynamics, if it lives up to its reputation, may hold a key to producing the most healthy, nutritional food on the planet - food that is 'multidimensionally whole', that is to say, food that is grown in such a way as to allow it to absorb and radiate all the necessary cosmic influences that are most beneficial to human health. Medicinal food. This is far different from simple 'chemical agriculture' that is based on a purely materialistic view of ratios of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium.

我是新生物动力学的研究,知道点燃tle of Steiner - from what I have read of his work, and from what I have heard of his methods of schooling, for instance, I have a good feeling about his work and his person. The purpose of this thread would be to study biodynamics, discuss its validity, discuss Steiner, and if anyone is willing, to engage in our own experiments in biodynamic preparations and share results with each other. It could be a place where the philosophy of biodynamics is discussed, as well, but with an eye to translating that philosophy into real life. And anyone who has already delved into this matter could share their knowledge, too.

The sense and significance of this thread (food as spiritual medicine) is perhaps best described in the introduction of the Agriculture Course:

"I was particularly anxious to get an answer to the question as to可以建一座桥来活跃participati如何on and the carrying out of spiritual intentions without being pulled off the right path by personal ambition, illusions and petty jealousies; for, these were the negative qualities Rudolf Steiner had named as the main inner hindrances. Then came the thought-provoking and surprising answer: This is a problem of nutrition. Nutrition as it is to-day does not supply the strength necessary for manifesting the spirit in physical life. A bridge can no longer be built from thinking to will and action. Food plants no longer contain the forces people need for this."
iamthatis

iamthatis

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member

This is a short film that seeks to introduce the viewer to the regenerative agriculture movement. The story focuses on one particular family who claims to have undergone a process of personal transformation - by transforming their land practices. Without saying it, this demonstrates the 'as without, so within' principle.

As the C's might say, vicious cycles can transform into virtuous one with the correct application of knowledge.

According to the film, farmers are among the highest suicide rates by profession. Loans, working with known poisons like glyphosate, low sale prices, worry about crop loss and insurance company vultures, mining their soil into nothing, as well as the self-esteem of being 'the generation who lost the farm' all combine to a sort of crushing feedback loop of despair.

Regenerative farming practices can turn this around quickly - by building soil within the first year through diverse cover-cropping, eliminating glyphosate, and healing the micro-biome of the land. This is also not more expensive - it is less expensive than conventional agriculture, and apparently can yield immediate financial results. The film claims that consumers are driving this trend as the public gains more awareness of the dangers of glyphosate, and as we come to realize that our own health (as well as just about everything and everyone we love and cherish) depends on (1) a healthy, living layer of lithosphere and (2) the farmers who spend their lives growing our food. The feedback loop can be one of ecological healing -while meeting human needs.

There are few numbers crunched here, and little discussion of actual regenerative farming techniques. This film is more of an appetizer, or an emotional appeal. I enjoyed it nonetheless, as an inspiration to continue my research into biodynamics despite my quite busy schedule.
Top Bottom