Crazy storm weather around the world

c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

Tropical Depression Twenty-Eight has formed in the northwestern Caribbean Sea and is expected to be a rainfall threat to the Gulf Coast next week.
Tropical storm warnings have been issued for the western tip of Cuba, where tropical storm conditions are expected on Monday.

Tropical storm watches have been issued for the northeastern portion of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and for Cozumel, where tropical storm conditions are possible late Monday into early Tuesday.

The center of newly-formed T.D. 28 is located just west of the Cayman Islands with little motion since it formed Saturday evening. Showers and thunderstorms are spreading through the western Caribbean Sea and into the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.

Jones

Jones

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There were crazy hail storms in South East Queensland this afternoon will hail stones up to 14cm. Roofs and cars damaged. A friends son from Springfield Lakes has two cars written off and tiles on the roof of his house broken and hail stones go through his shed roof.

In one place, hail stones went right through the ceiling of the house.

Gary

Gary

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
There were crazy hail storms in South East Queensland this afternoon will hail stones up to 14cm. Roofs and cars damaged. A friends son from Springfield Lakes has two cars written off and tiles on the roof of his house broken and hail stones go through his shed roof.

World's largest hail record may be challenged by exceptionally large 8+ inches hailstones that hit Tripoli, Libya on Oct 27

Earlier this week on Tuesday, Oct 27th , the capital of Libya, Tripoli was hit by an unprecedented severe supercell storm. It produced exceptionally large, *giant* hail,possibly more than 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter.The first reports indicate that hailstones could be one of the largest ever recorded on Earth!

Such hail size would definitely fit into the world's Top 3 giant hailstone events reported globally. Besides the Vivian (south Dakota) hailstorm from 2010 and the so-called 'gargantuan' hailstorm in Argentina in 2018.

It is reminding me more and more of this scene from The Day After Tomorrow.

Remember what the Cs said:

21 June 2014 said:
A: Remember "Day After Tomorrow" and the comments we made about the coming global superstorm some "time" ago.You are presently witnessing many of the things that will intensify as time goes forward.Ain't it awesome?!!
Laurs

Laurs

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Talk about things that intensify:Super Typhoon Goni, Asia's most powerful typhoon this year, makes landfall in the Phillippineswith maximum sustained winds of 225km/h (140mph) at Catanduanes island on Sunday at 04:50 local time (19:50 GMT Saturday)..

Almost a million people have been evacuated from their homes.Between 19 million and 31 million people could be affected, including those in danger zones, the disaster management agency said.

In a severe weather bulletin,Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Adminstration (Pagasa) warned of "flooding (including flash floods), rain-induced landslides, and sediment-laden streamflows" in areas of Luzon, as well as the islands of Visayas and Mindanao.
"Within the next 12 hours, catastrophic violent winds and intense to torrential rainfall... will be experienced," it said.

"Evacuating people is more difficult at this time because of Covid-19," Bicol regional civil defence spokesman Alexis Naz told AFP.
The Philippines is hit by an average of 20 storms and typhoons a year. Some 22 people were killed last week when Typhoon Molave barrelled through the same region now braced for Goni.

c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

For some, it was the wait of a lifetime. 8 photographers tell in an exceptional crossed account the night of the waterspouts, in Genoa, on September 7th. https://bit.ly/34MRKvT
Snip: 22-29 minute Read:
That night in early September 2020 will probably be remembered by storm enthusiasts. While instability had steadily raged in northern Italy for several weeks - generating supercells, waterspouts and tornadoes - the climax of this period would take place on the night of "September 6-7" in Genoa.

Dean Gill:
“Watching a nighttime waterspout or tornado illuminated by lightning is a childhood dream that dates back to the evening of September 11, 1970, near Venice, Italy. Just after dark, a violent tornado passed 200 meters from the house of my grandparents where I was staying. Hidden in the kitchen, I couldn't see him, just heard him. On the other hand, one of my aunts had been fortunate enough to observe the phenomenon as the whirlpool entered the Venetian lagoon, describing it as "a large funnel lit by lightning, at the foot of which swirled debris". This image remained imprinted somewhere in a corner of my brain. After several semi-unsuccessful attempts, such as the one of September 14, 2015 or the more recent one of September 2019, where I was able to capture the phenomenon far off Rimini in Italy, the night of September 6 to 7 was the night of liberation. "
Forecast time

Dean Gill:
“The day before the event, looking at the different model releases, it was clear that something very interesting was going to happen near Genoa. A line of convergence was to be set up between the sirocco (south-easterly wind) and the libeccio (south-westerly wind). The uncertainty lay in its location. Many models saw it far to the west, between Arenzano and Savona, which is rather unusual, while other models “plugged in” this line somewhere between Voltri and Genoa.
For my part, I made the decision to follow the second hypothesis with a probable placement on the heights of Crevari, west of Voltri. "

Baptiste Monterroso:
“The meteorological autumn begins, the Mediterranean is at its hottest on the Gulf of Genoa. With water surface temperatures (SST) reaching or even exceeding 26 ° C offshore, the slightest cold drop isolating itself on this gulf at this time of year almost always produces a spectacle worthy of its reputation. Genoa is a city used to stormy phenomena, often striking in its visual aesthetics combined with the presence of sometimes devastating phenomena: flash floods or other vortex phenomena are often part of the Genoese alchemy. And precisely, this night of September 6 to 7, an isolated cold drop should generate a strong zone of convergence at the level of Genoa, a situation typical of this season with east, south-east and south flows channeling into a funnel and shearing pile off the city. AROME's runs are therefore unequivocal. "

neema

neema

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Just checked this thread again today as I wanted to share some lessons from the insane hurricane season we experienced here in my neck of the woods.

Stay safe neema.
Thanks, everything went as expected.

I had never experienced such intense storms before.

Number one lesson for me was if you have a Generator, drain the fuel before storing it.:headbash:

Although I do enjoy a good carburetor cleaning, can’t really do that when you need the thing to run in an emergency.

Another lesson I learned was from the trees that survived. It stood out for me that the more flexible the more chance of surviving. It was even more important than deep roots.

Personally it was a very good metaphor for how one should live in a chaotic world. Be flexible as rigidness no matter how strong will lead you to having a higher chance of breaking. Even with deep roots if you are not flexible you can be uprooted.

All and all it was a fun experience. It was so fascinating as it was hard for me to peel myself away from the window. I was in awe of the power of nature.

Fwtw.
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Monsoon 6 (4K, 8K)
1 week ago
I've never spent two years making a Monsoon film before, so this was a first. Part of it was wanting to put out the best possible film I could, but a good chunk of it was the fact our recent summer storm seasons have been subpar at best, with 2020 the worst I can remember. 2019 wasn't horrible, but there was about zero dust storms, with only a single haboob clip to salvage from that summer, so I wanted to wait until I had something more to add to it.

幸运的是,2020年8月16日,我们发生的scored a fantastic haboob chase from Casa Grande to Gila Bend along Interstate 8. It was what I had been hoping and praying for to complete this film. That was the only legit haboob day of the past two years and I'm glad I was there for it! Not only for this film, but for the BBC and one of their upcoming projects I'm proud to be a part of!

Gary

Gary

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
From the Weather Channel:

Hurricane Iota Strengthens Into First Category 5 of 2020 Hurricane Season

Hurricane Iota has rapidly intensified into a rare Category 5, the first of the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, as it heads for landfall in Central America, where it will bring potentially catastrophic rainfall flooding, mudslides, storm surge and damaging winds for the second time in two weeks.

周一早上,成为了唯一一个Category 5 hurricane on record in November and the record latest-in-season hurricane ever to reach that intensity in the Atlantic Basin.The 1932 Cuba hurricane reached Category 5 intensity from November 5-8.

...Iota will make landfall late Monday night along the coast of northern Nicaragua, in the same area Hurricane Eta made its Category 4 landfall on November 3.

...Regardless, Iota is likely to be a catastrophic hurricane for Central America.

This will be the
first time on record two major hurricanes - Category 3 or stronger - made landfall in Nicaragua in the same hurricane season , much less only two weeks apart.NOAA's hurricane database only documented seven such Category 3-plus landfalls in Nicaragua prior from the mid-19th century through 2019.

...Iota is the10th storm of the 2020 season to meet the criterion for rapid intensification. This tied 1995 for the most such rapid intensifiers in any single season since 1979, according toTomer Burg, an atmospheric science Ph.D. student at the University of Oklahoma.

Iota's 160 mph maximum sustained winds on Monday morning makes it the strongest hurricane of the 2020 Atlantic season. It also topped Hurricane Lenny (1999) for the strongest Atlantic hurricane so late in the season ,according to Dr. Phil Klotzbach, a tropical scientist at Colorado State University.

See also:
Gary

Gary

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
From Sott.net:

Extremely rare winter tornado hits Trieste, Italy

"Today, on Dec 7th, 2020, an intense supercell storm rolled across the North Adriatic Sea and produced a tornado that hit the Port of Trieste city, Italy in the evening hours. Severe weather with large hail and damaging winds blasted across the Slovenian coast, and also the city of Trieste itself,"reportsSevere Weather Europe.

"Call it rare, historic, or whatever possible, the event is extremely rare! Lets us repeat... it is December 7th, a winter month and the Adriatic Sea and the city of Trieste are located in central Europe."

Other recent rare or late-season tornadic activity includes:
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The#TempeteBellablows in the north-west this morning with gusts of 120 to 140 km / h on the coasts and up to 100 km / h inland, loc. more in the#Finistèreand the#Mancheplaced in#VigilanceOrange. Also note: 121 km / h at the top of the#TourEiffel!@LCI

TONIGHT

A band of blustery showers will move southeastwards over the country early on Sunday night, turning to sleet and snow on higher ground in the north and east. This will be followed by scattered wintry showers. Lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees occuring early in the night, rising later as west to northwesterly winds increase fresh to strong and gusty with gales or strong gales on Atlantic coasts.

TOMORROW - Monday 28th December

Monday will be blustery with widespread showers, wintry on higher ground, with a continued risk of hail. Highest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees, coolest in the east, but feeling colder in fresh to strong and gusty northwesterly winds.

National Outlook

Summary:A cold and blustery end to 2020 is in store however it will remain largely dry away from Atlantic coast. There will be a continued risk of frost at night also.

Monday night:Staying cold and blustery with a mix of clear spells and scattered showers, turning wintry on higher ground. Lowest temperatures of 0 to 4 degrees in moderate to fresh northwesterly winds.

Tuesday:Another cold and blustery day on Tuesday, with sunny spells and scattered showers, mainly in the west and north and turning wintry at times. Afternoon temperatures of just 3 to 6 degrees in a moderate northwest to west wind.

Tuesday night:Scattered wintry showers will continue near coasts in the west and northwest on Tuesday night, remaining mostly dry elsewhere with clear spells, however there is a chance of more persistent rain in the southwest with sleet on high ground later in the night. It will be cold and frosty with lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees in light to moderate westerly breezes.

Wednesday:Another cold day but mostly dry with sunny spells, although there will be further scattered showers near coasts in the west and north. Afternoon highest temperatures of 3 to 5 degrees in light west to northwest winds.

Wednesday night:
Scattered showers will continue with the risk of some sleet on higher ground, elsewhere it will be partly cloudy with just the risk of an isolated passing shower. It will be another frosty night, lows of -2 to + 2 degrees in light to moderate west to northwest winds.

Thursday (New Year's Eve):A mix of sunny spells and showers, most frequent along western coasts. Highs of just 5 to 7 degrees in light to moderate northwest winds. Similar conditions will prevail for Thursday night with clears skies in the south and east bringing lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees on light to moderate northwesterly breezes.

Friday (New Year's Day):Isolated showers in the east, mostly dry elsewhere with good sunny spells. Remaining cool however with highs of just 3 to 5 degrees in light northwesterly breezes.

Further outlook:Winds are set to ease further as high pressure builds in for the early days or 2021 however it will remain cool and mostly dry with frosts at night.

Superb view this morning of the polar stall with a lot of cold air at altitude gaining towards the west of the#Europe. The Depression#Bellais pointed at around 950 hPa north of Scotland.

Get some fresh air on the beach! This video was just made at Camperduin in North Holland, where wind speeds of up to 110 km / h have already occurred.#StormHourCredits: Casper ter Kuile
XPan

XPan

Dagobah Resident
For some, it was the wait of a lifetime. 8 photographers tell in an exceptional crossed account the night of the waterspouts, in Genoa, on September 7th. https://bit.ly/34MRKvT

Water Spouts at night over the Mediterranean Sea

during September are very common - as the waters are peaking in temperature - and first disturbances (slightly colder air starting to seep into the middle atmosphere. Or a "cold drop" in the atmosphere wrecks havoc over Italy, Spain, Greece - usually responsible for severe weather phenomenas)

In the South of Italy, towards Sicily, the calmer Tyrrhenian sea (Rome and downwards, Napoli to Sicily and Aeolian Islands) has more often water spouts in September compared to the North.

Extreme Weather common in the Gulf of Genova

On the other hand, the Gulf of Genova is known for terrible and dramatic weather phenomenas (any time of the year !) - partially due to the interaction between water and geography and the Alps. Torrential rainfalls, dangerous "V"-thunderstorm complex - which roll into land like an express train, getting fed from the energy of the warm sea.

Waterspout at Stromboli Volcano • 10 Sep 2009

Here you see a photo series (with a smaller) water spout. We took the images while being at the Stromboli Volcano in Southern Italy. The images point towards mainland Italy (Calabria)

Within perhaps less than 30 minutes, numerous thunderstorms popped up over the very warm Tyrrhenian Sea. I saw already that earlier smaller clouds had an unsettled, unstable appearance - a common sign before T-Storms emerge. (Reading the sky and clouds, is really fun, an art I learned as a teenager... on "dry land Berlin" *LOL*)

The water spout only lasted around 10 minutes - the winds where very calm. Of course our images are not as dramatic because they only show the open sea. But it was a magic experience. Actually the whole vacation was magic, because out of 10 days we had 7 thunderstorm days.

Waterspouts and tornadoes are not that uncommon during winter over Southern Europe (more in Nov-Dec than Jan-Feb), due to large latent energy stored in the Mediterranean sea: It always provides large potential to feed thunderstorms, tornadoes even rarer hurricane-like (warm core) cyclones, so called "Medicanes" - if the conditions are right. It requires "lifting" of airmasses, to get the process going. Also intrusions of cold air from the north can create dramatic weather conditions.

2020-12-27a.jpg

2020-12-27b.jpg

2020-12-27c.jpg

2020-12-27d.jpg
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

Guillaume Woznica @GWoznica
7:43 PM · Dec 28, 2020
[DIRECT]
#TempeteBella: another 25,000 households without electricity at 7 p.m. this evening (Enedis at
@LCI) In detail: 15,000 in#Corrèze, 10,000 in#Auvergneand on the Atlantic coast following the falls of#neigeor some#ventsviolent ...

L-1: Confirmation: it holds very well to the ground. Arrival in Montpellier in 2021.
L-2: Feathers are falling on theA75,the pavements (although treated) turn white very quickly@MeteoLanguedoc @MidiLibrelozere

c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
By Associated Press Jan. 2, 2021 7:07 AM
Having lived her life in Los Angeles, Morgan Andersen knows natural disasters all too well. In college, an earthquake shook her home hard. Her grandfather was affected by recent wildfires in neighboring Orange County.

“It’s just that constant reminder, ‘Oh yeah, we live somewhere where there’s natural disasters and they can strike at any time,’” said the 29-year-old marketing executive.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has calculated the risk for every county in America for 18 types of natural disasters, including earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, volcanoes and even tsunamis. And of the nation’s more than 3,000 counties, Los Angeles County earned the highest ranking in theNational Risk Index.

The way FEMA calculates the index spotlights places long known as danger spots, like Los Angeles. But there are also plenty of surprises.
For instance, East Coast cities such as New York and Philadelphia rank far higher on the risk for tornadoes than Tornado Alley stalwarts Oklahoma and Kansas.

And the county with the biggest coastal flood risk is one in Washington state that’s not on the ocean, although its river is tidal.

Those seeming oddities occur because FEMA’s index goes beyond how often disasters strike. It also considers how many people and how much property are in harm’s way, how vulnerable the population is socially and how well the area is able to bounce back — in other words, how bad the toll would be.
That results in a high risk assessment for big cities with lots of poor people and expensive property that are ill-prepared to be hit by once-in-a-generation disasters.

Take tornadoes. FEMA’s top five riskiest counties for twisters are two boroughs in New York City, Philadelphia, St. Louis and New Jersey’s Hudson County. The county that includes Oklahoma City — which has experiencedmore than 120 tornadoessince 1950, including one that killed 36 people in 1999 — ranks 120th.

The top five “are a low frequency, potentially high-consequence event because there’s a lot of property exposure in that area,” saidSusan Cutter, director of the University of South CarolinaHazards & Vulnerability Research Institute, whose work FEMA relied on. “Therefore, a small tornado can create a large dollar loss.”

In New York, people are far less aware of the risk and less prepared — and that’s a problem, saidMike Grimm, a FEMA official who has specialized in risk management. The day before he said that, New York had a tornado watch. Days later, the National Weather Servicetweetedthat in 2020 several cities, mostly along the East Coast, had more tornadoes than Wichita, Kan.

In general, Oklahoma is twice as likely to get tornadoes as New York City, but the damage potential is much higher in New York because there are 20 times the people and nearly 20 times the property value at risk, FEMA officials said.
“It’s that risk perception that it won’t happen to me,” Grimm said. “Just because I haven’t seen it in my lifetime doesn’t mean it won’t happen.”

That sort of denial is especially true with frequent and costly flooding, he said. It’s also why only 4% of the population has federal flood insurance when about one-third may need it.

Disaster experts say people have to think about the big disaster that happens only a few times a lifetime at most but is devastating when it hits —Hurricane Katrina,Superstorm Sandy,2011 super outbreak of tornadoes,1906San Francisco earthquakeor a pandemic.

“We’re bad at taking seriously risks that happen only infrequently,” saidDavid Ropeik, a retired Harvard risk communications lecturer and author of “How Risky Is It, Really?” “We simply don’t fear them as much as we fear things that are more present in our consciousness, more common. That’s practically disastrous with natural disasters.”

Something like FEMA’s new index “opens our eyes to the gaps between what we feel and what is,” Ropeik said.
联邦应急管理局的十大风险最高的地方,除了洛Angeles, are three counties in the New York City area — Bronx, New York County (Manhattan) and Kings County (Brooklyn) — along with Miami, Philadelphia, Dallas, St. Louis and Southern California’s Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

By the same measurement, Loudoun County, a Washington, D.C., outer suburb, has the lowest risk of any county, according to FEMA. Three other Washington suburban counties rank among the lowest risks for larger counties, along with suburban Boston, Long Island, suburban Detroit and Pittsburgh.

Some of FEMA’s risk rankings by disaster type seem obvious. Miami has the highest risk for hurricanes, lightning, and river flooding. Hawaii County is tops in volcano risk and Honolulu County for tsunamis. Dallas ranks highest for hail, Philadelphia for heat waves and Riverside County for wildfires.

Himanshu Grover, a risk expert at the University of Washington, called FEMA’s effort “a good tool, a good start.” But he also said it had flaws, such as final scores that seem to downplay disaster frequency.

Ropeik added that the index didn’t seem to address how risks were changing due to climate change. FEMA officials said climate change showed up in flooding calculations and would probably be incorporated in future updates.

This new tool, based on calculations by 80 experts over six years, is about “educating homeowners and renters and communities to be more resilient,” Grimm said, adding that people shouldn’t move into or out of a county because of the risk rating.

By Yereth Rosen January 2, 2021
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) – A Pacific storm of record proportions swept a remote stretch of Alaska’s Aleutian Islands chain on New Year’s Eve, battering a region used heavily by commercial shipping with hurricane-force winds and seas five stories high.

“It’s the most intense storm ever recorded in the North Pacific, excluding typhoons,” said Brian Brettschneider, a NOAA research scientist with the National Weather Service.

The center of what forecasters refer to as “bomb cyclone” was measured at a record-low barometric pressure of 921 millibars, equivalent to the eye of a Category 4 hurricane and the lowest documented over the Aleutians as far back as the 1950s, Brettschneider said.

The storm unleashed seas as high as 54 feet (16.5 meters) and winds topping 80 miles per hour (120 kph) – a force of Category 1 on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane wind scale – in the western Aleutians, the weather service said.

The storm was too far from large populated areas to pose a direct hazard to many people besides those traveling in the region by aircraft or vessel, Brettscheneider said.

The Aleutian island of Shemya with a small air station and a few personnel was in the epicenter of the storm, about 1,450 miles southwest of Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city. Most of the Aleutian Islands are uninhabited.

The waters, however, are heavily used by cargo ships traveling between Asia and North America. Thousands of vessels a year ply a shipping corridor known as the North Pacific Great Circle Route. The area is also important for commercial fishing.

The storm also caused some erosion of Bering Sea winter ice, already at some of its thinnest levels on record for this time of year, further disrupting a frozen landscape that walruses and some species of seals depend on.

“This may kind of set back ice formation,” Brettschneider said, adding that it would likely take five or six days for the winds to calm and for cold northern air to flow back in, allowing the Bering Sea to regain some ice. (Reporting by Yereth Rosen; Editing by Steve Gorman and Neil Fullick)(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021.

Diosssss now I'm getting very, very nervous, but look what snowfall puts us on the Icon model from Friday morning it's hard to see a place of Cat without the snowflakes, bufffff we breathe and tomorrow we will do analysis but that would be very big , but that much !!!#meteo

Top Bottom