Lightning around the world

lara4unow

lara4unow

Jedi
A lighting bolt hit a garage door in an instant as my stepfather walked through it. I saw it because I was in the garage and felt a surge of vibration and blinding light at the same time. It was so powerful that the top of the door frame was destroyed. WOW!! I have never seen anything that powerful coming from the sky. These accounts of lightening strikes that have killed so many humans and animals around the world in the last decade brings this memory up for me In a very vivid way whenever I read about them on SOTT.
A

angelburst29

The Living Force
Lightning Kills 22 in Kashmir
Lightning Kills 22 in Kashmir - Other Media news - Tasnim News Agency

July 15, 2019 - At least 22 people were killed when lightning struck a market in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir on Monday, local media and officials reported.

Lightning Kills 22 in Kashmir
The deceased included nine members of Tableegi Jamaat, who were staying at a nearby local mosque, and two army troops, local broadcaster Aaj News reported, quoting officials of Kashmir Disaster Management Authority.

The incident took place in Leswa town of Neelam Valley -- a famous tourist destination -- near Line of Control, a de facto border that divides disputed Kashmir valley between Pakistan and India.

The Leswa Market was completely destroyed by lightning, officials said, Anadolu Agency reported.

Several vehicles of tourists were also missing due to torrential rains that caused flash floods in the region, they added. Pakistan’s army troops have joined local administration in the rescue operation.
A

angelburst29

The Living Force
33 villagers killed in lightning storm in northern India
33 villagers killed in lightning storm in northern India
1676546-953595178.jpg

雷击duri住宅公寓ng a thunderstorm on the outskirts of the Indian capital New Delhi. (File/AFP)

LUCKNOW, India: Officials say dozens of people have died in a thunderstorm that struck the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
State disaster relief official Sandhya says that lightning Sunday killed 33 people and injured 13 more. The official who only goes by one name said that 20 houses collapsed in the storm.

暴雨和闪电抨击该地区当farmers were working in the field.

India Meterological Department official J.P. Gupta says thata low pressure area developed forming a squall line.

Police officer Pradyuman Singh says that seven people were killed in one village while working in a paddy field, including a woman and a child.

Uttar Pradesh’s chief minister Yogi Adityanath says families of those killed would receive compensation of 400,000 rupees (about $6,000).
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
6:25 p.m. Yesterday
Clearwater, Fla.— A lightning strike Sunday at a Florida beach injured eight people, Clearwater Police Department Lt. Michael Ogliaruso said.

Witnesses reported seeing the eight people either falling or being thrown when the lightning struck Clearwater Beach, near Tampa, Ogliaruso told CNN.

One man in his 40s was directly hit by the strike, fire rescue officials told CNN affiliate WFTS-TVThe man went into cardiac arrest and is in critical condition, WFTS reported.

Three employees of a jet ski rental company and two foreign tourists were among the injured, though the extent of their injuries was unclear, Ogliaruso said.

Four people, including the man struck by lightning, were taken to the hospital, Ogliaruso said

Three of those taken to the hospital had non-life threatening injuries. The three others involved declined treatment.

It's not uncommon for people to stay on the beach and watch the storms, Ogliaruso said.

"It was one of those bad Florida storms. It came and now it's gone sunny and clear out," Ogliaruso said. "As dangerous as they are, they're also pretty spectacular."

Clearwater Fire and Rescue told WFTS that beachgoers should take cover and go to a safe place when lightning and thunder storms are in the vicinity.

"Clearwater Fire and Rescue uses the phrase: When you hear the roar, go indoors," the fire department said.

Sarasota, FL Vivid Lightning Storm - 7/17/2019
StormChasingVideo Published on Jul 20, 2019

This stuff really strengthened over the hills but never made it off of them. It started making a hard right turn and hit Fremont County pretty hard. Over 1100 lightning strikes in 3 hours.#cowx
3:15 PM · Jul 22, 2019

Last night: Finally got dem bolts near Encino, NM.#lightning #NewMexico #NewMexicoTRUE #Monsoon2019 #monsoon
3:31 PM · Jul 22, 2019
itellsya

itellsya

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
The UK was hit with an unusually active thunderstorm that, according to the news, covered the days of Wednesday 24th to Thursday 25th July, over some of the hottest July days ever recorded, and there was this cool shot of a rather loopy lightning bolt :

Preston:

Some other images:

Blackpool (about 30 minutes further NW from Preston and on the coast)

Norfolk:
Last edited:
stellar

stellar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
6:25 p.m. Yesterday
Clearwater, Fla.— A lightning strike Sunday at a Florida beach injured eight people, Clearwater Police Department Lt. Michael Ogliaruso said.

Witnesses reported seeing the eight people either falling or being thrown when the lightning struck Clearwater Beach, near Tampa, Ogliaruso told CNN.

One man in his 40s was directly hit by the strike, fire rescue officials told CNN affiliate WFTS-TVThe man went into cardiac arrest and is in critical condition, WFTS reported.

Three employees of a jet ski rental company and two foreign tourists were among the injured, though the extent of their injuries was unclear, Ogliaruso said.

Four people, including the man struck by lightning, were taken to the hospital, Ogliaruso said

Three of those taken to the hospital had non-life threatening injuries. The three others involved declined treatment.

It's not uncommon for people to stay on the beach and watch the storms, Ogliaruso said.

"It was one of those bad Florida storms. It came and now it's gone sunny and clear out," Ogliaruso said. "As dangerous as they are, they're also pretty spectacular."

Clearwater Fire and Rescue told WFTS that beachgoers should take cover and go to a safe place when lightning and thunder storms are in the vicinity.

"Clearwater Fire and Rescue uses the phrase: When you hear the roar, go indoors," the fire department said.

Sarasota, FL Vivid Lightning Storm - 7/17/2019
StormChasingVideo Published on Jul 20, 2019

This stuff really strengthened over the hills but never made it off of them. It started making a hard right turn and hit Fremont County pretty hard. Over 1100 lightning strikes in 3 hours.#cowx
3:15 PM · Jul 22, 2019

Last night: Finally got dem bolts near Encino, NM.#lightning #NewMexico #NewMexicoTRUE #Monsoon2019 #monsoon
3:31 PM · Jul 22, 2019
Beautiful! I love thunderstorms. They don't frighten me at all; more like invigorating. I usually sit on my front porch with coffee and watch the show. The past couple of years we have had few significant ones to speak of where I live. They seem to skirt around me.
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Published time: 8 Sep, 2019 09:49
The Seattle skies lit up with an extreme lightning storm on Saturday night, with over 200 strikes recorded in just 45 minutes.
The National Weather Service’s Seattle station said about 1,250 strikes had been recorded during the powerful thunderstormsoverWestern Washington, in the space of about three-and-a-half hours.

Flights were diverted to avoid forked bolts of lightning and thousands of households were left without power after electricity lines and transformers were also hit.

The intense storm caused an“extreme weather”delay of a football game at Husky Stadium before the lightning took out the power in the stadium. The Washington State Fair was forced to close early.

“We don’t see this type of weather roll through very often,” saidArt Gaebel, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Seattle.

c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
A small time lapse of the electrical activity seen from my window#Malaga @Storm_Malaga

Dana Cold Drop in Malaga Capital.Electric storm.
Sep 13, 2019

The most prominent events of the cloud today, September 13 South # Abu_Arish # Jazan_Aln today afternoon

VIDEO: Summer lightning storm lights up Chilliwack sky
Saturday’s thunder and lightning storm lasted about an hour
Sep. 9, 2019 11:55 a.m
18443029_web1_Josh-Smith2.jpg

In this photo of Saturday’s lightning storm taken by Joshua Smith, a face can be seen in the clouds to the left. Some readers’ comments on social media said it looks like U.S. President Donald Trump. (Joshua Smith)
Last edited:
c.a.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The bar of 20,000 lightning soon reached France since the beginning of the afternoon. The#oragesare strong and will become strong in the Gulf of Lion and around the Massif Central next night with the risk of intense rain and violent gusts.

43毫米,目前,#oragesthis evening (Anhice, 10kms NE St-JPdePort). More in places to the MF radar aggregate). Beautiful watering! A lot of lightning and thunder for more than 2 hours. It always

Some impacts#foudre #orageson the west#bearnthis afternoon #pyreneesatlantiques Fil21 for@Meteo_Pyrenees

Edit:
mabar

mabar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Too blured, but it does look like red sprites, (seen above the Iztaccihuatl volcano near Popocatepetl) shoud had been far away since sprites appear at 50+ km -- mintute 6:25 (in Spanish) --in some social sites, they are assuming to be volcanic activity, hence the portrait of the video.

https://youtu.be/9PEtsFN1mBI
mrtn

mrtn

Jedi Council Member
Close Encounter with a Gigantic Jet

October 25, 2019/Dr.Tony Phillips

Oct. 25, 2019:When you see lightning, run! That’s what NOAA advises in lightning safety brochures. On Oct. 15th, however, pilot Chris Holmes had no place to go when lightning started to crackle in thunderstorms around his aircraft.
“I was flying 35,000 feet over the Gulf of Mexico near the Yucatan Peninsula when a super cell started pulsing with light,” he says. “It wasn’t just ordinary lightning, though. The cell was also creating lots of sprites and jets leaping up from the thunderhead.”
At a distance of only 35 miles, hevideo-recordedthis:
gj_crop

[...]
mabar

mabar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
12 April

SpaceWeather.com said:
EASTER SPRITES: On Easter weekend, a series of severe storms swept across the Southeastern USA, battering the region with powerful thunderstorms and deadly tornadoes. In Edmond, Oklahoma, Paul Smith went outside on Easter morning to photograph the distant lightning. He caught these sprites leaping up from a thunderhead in Arkansas.

"The electrical storm had already passed through our area. These sprites were about 200 miles away, across the state line," he says. "After being stuck in the house for weeks, it was nice to be out and smelling the canola blooms."

Sprites are an exotic form of upward directed lightning. They often appear above the strongest thunderstorms, reaching their red tendrils up toward the edge of space. Last weekend's Easter storms likely produced a great number of sprites. Smith was perfectly positioned to photograph them--"I was just far enough away to see over the cloudtops," he explains.

More sprites may be in the offing this weekend. Severe thunderstorms and heavy rain are expected to roll across the South on Sunday, battering areas still reeling from the Easter Storms. This could activate a new display of upward directed lightning--*best seen from far away.*
Top Bottom