Photography Highlights • Painting with Light

XPan

XPan

Dagobah Resident
2021-02-03_01.jpg

Painting with Photo Chemicals

This "Embryo" series, was one of the most fascinating ones I have ever done. Why ? More to that later. In this series made with analog film (6x6) and then printed - I painted the body of Per-Olof with a chemical substance called"Selenium toner".

By using a paintbrush and the (undiluted) Selenium toner, those areas would quickly turn yellow-reddish.

Chlorbromid fiberpaper reacts best - and does so quickly, with warm tones. The rest of the image is only weakly toned with Selenium, giving it a warmer overall tone - as well deepens the dark areas as those reacts more, the more silver there is. (It also stabilizes the silver print). However - Selenium toner does not have the same yellow-reddish-brown effect when used on Bromide silver prints - as those react much less, and tend to go towards cool black-purple kind of tone - which just looks weird.

In this way, you can seperate an object from it's surrounding. Also note, that the images you here are digital simulations of the original. So, it can be done digitally without the need of a print. But since I have done it the analog way, I know exactly the effect when using Selenium Toner simulating it digitally.

2021-02-03_05.jpg

2021-02-03_02.jpg

在90年代Per-Olof背后的故事。

Per-Olof was my best friend early 90s (we were like bothers): him being the unpolished, raw, very different type of guy. Totally un-swedish - yet非常Swedish the other way around (in the sense of Sweden that existed in the 70s, 80s and early 90s). Not afraid of anything, a frank mouth - and a true genius in the field of electricity, with a special relation to thunderstorms. (His grandfather which PeO spend a lot of time with, learning things, was apparently the inventor behind the making of bathtubs (the right composition of the steel to be able to form bathtubs without cracking I assume).

Per-Olof, also called PeO, has a very interesting, strange look. Mike Jagger like, fascinating and weird. Because of the contrasts and opposites he represented. Also his body anatomy, was by nature, fascinating (He did not train at the gym) I don't think I have ever met a personality like him in others. Very frank - even rude - bold - and yet with glimpses of depths and intelligence. Highly manipulative at times - but I had no fear of that - because I knew him, sense it on a deeper level - therefore always been able to say "ok, stop now. No more". A very complex soul anatomy. You know - Scorpio energy; creating an destroying. It all is in there, too.

He was/is an extremely eccentric personality, while at the same time as a photo model - he was super cool, calm, helpful and a joy to work with ! Strange combo, isn't it ?

He became my main 'photo model' in the 90s (I used to work with only friends and buddies). He was my muse and inspiration due to the dynamics between us where positive tilted. The kind of guy you "steal horses with" (only with the difference that none of us stole anything from other people)

2021-02-03_03.jpg

The WW2 Bomb station Photo Series
(North of Stockholm)

PeO lived in the area called Märsta, not so far away from the Stockholm Arlanda Airport (43 km north of Stockholm City) - and showed me a place - that was totally weird. Straight in the middle of nowhere, on the country side, there was something he called a "experimental bomb station from the WW2 era". A huge long tube of massive steel and concrete - open. Apparently the tube was used for testing bombs of some kind. (It doesn't exist anymore) And then there was just thisone ringlying on the ground...

Because you could climb up onto the tube, there was a little platform, I was able to set the tripod and 6x6 camera, taking images from above - while Per-Olof would simply make slow experimental positions with his body within the ring.

And when he did - the scenery had a strange feeling to it. (All kind of associations bubbling up)

This opposite of massive steel vs the soft body. The ring being able to symbolize protection, but also symbolize entrapment. Internal vs external. The body being able to symbolize vulnerability vs strength. Then the sense of "curling up" / hiding / fleeing...

2021-02-03_04.jpg
XPan

XPan

Dagobah Resident
Painting withflash light (1990)

这是我最早的实验与光inting in photography. Here I used a little flash light. The big bulky 6x7 camera was set for longtime exposure (Fuji Velvia 50 slide film) - which means the shutter stays open, in order to collect light. During that process, I fired a weak flash light from various angles a couple of times.

The structure I took images of, was an odd, peculiar one (I don't even know what it symbolized). It was just odd. Located 11 km outside of Stockholm to the east, almost on the verge of the country side - in a place called "Fisksätra" (Fish meadow ?) - where I lived, as it was much closer to my work as a conductor and train driver at the local railway "Saltsjöbana" (Saltlake railway) - whose main station was/is located far outside of Stockholm.

Very little is needed - to create magic

When it comes to light painting... you really can do a lot, with very little tools. All you need is something that emits light. Anything goes at night ! And I say it every time: There is a lot of fun involved. Especially if you are out with a buddy or friend - you can do many beautiful things. The results do not need to be perfect.... just observe, experiment and learn along the road.

2021-03-23_01.jpg

2021-03-23_02.jpg

2021-03-23_03.jpg
XPan

XPan

Dagobah Resident
Painting withPhoto Chemicals (1996)

Another way to "paint"- is with photo chemicals. A few times I used this to express feelings of sorrow/anger. Well actually, it wasn't planned at all. More like; in difficult periods in my life, I seemed to be more open to dive deeper into experimental activities (mainly photography), because the emotions that piled up, pushed it into enganging me more, then I would otherwise feel motivated to do. Not to accomplish something particular really, it was more about to dosomething.Probably it was a strong survival mechanism, I am sure.

In the below photos, I used fully exposed color-print paper - which I treated in various ways with the standard RA-4 chemicals (for color papers (developer / bleach fix) kind of going back and forth, partially developing, partially using bleachfix, using hot water... disrupting the chemical etc. Well you have to experiment yourself to what feels optically nice. (Sometimes it all just turns out into garbage). The structures that appeared in the image, were simple tape, acting like a mask shielding physical from a chemical component. Sometimes I dropped single drops of developer (or bleach fix) onto the paper.

2021-03-23_04.jpg

2021-03-23_05.jpg
Brandon

Brandon

Padawan Learner
Wow XPan! Really beautiful photos, and it's fascinating reading about your techniques and ideas.. thanks for sharing in such detail.

I'm just an occasional photography tinkerer.. did a bit of back yard astrophotography a few years ago, with mixed results. When it worked it was really cool! And I've become interested in analogue film photography since finding an old Canon Canonet rangefinder from the 1960s, in a second-hand shop, a few months ago.. I didn't have any experience with film, my first camera was already in the digital age... It's not very practical now of course, but there's something about it I like..

Having such a limited number of photos you can take, and the process being more purposeful and involved than pointing & shooting with a phone or something, it kinda feels like an antidote to, well, mobile phone over-usage, instant gratification and taking things for granted. I quite like spending a couple weeks shooting a roll of film (oh how I notice whatthe lightis like now), posting it off to be developed, then eventually getting the prints back - maybe they came out good, maybe not - these photos now only existing as a one-off physical object.. and then I can give them to people, or put them somewhere in my house... I dunno, it's just nice.
Top Bottom